Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Smoking Ban

This is my forth night on the bounce without going to The-Worst-Pub or indeed any pub since the smoking ban came into force at six o'clock on Sunday morning the first of July, in the year of our Lord two thousand and seven!

I love pubs! I have always loved pubs. But more to the point I love the inside of pubs; even on the hottest day of the year I would prefer to stand at the bar in the stifling heat rather than sit outside in the garden. If I want to sit in a garden and have a drink I can sit in my own!

After having experienced the ban in Ireland I know how crap it is. I don't have to go through a suck-it-and-see stage. I know already that I don't like it.

So, I have set up o'malleys bar in the kitchen! Put some cans in the fridge, turn the speakers around so they are facing in, put some peanuts in a thingy, lean against the work-surface and enjoy.

There are advantages to having a drink at home; It is a lot cheaper, music selection isn't left to some meatloaf fan with an inexhaustible supply of pound coins, you don't have to wait for ten minutes to get served at the bar, the surroundings are clean, and I am yet to hear a racist remark.

But, to be brutally honest it's a bit dull.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home